The Longest Free Flowing River in the Pacific Northwest
Whether you are a seasoned angler or a family on your first fishing adventure, get ready to experience the ultimate fishing trip! Our guides will show you the nooks and crannies where the big fish hide along this river.
We offer 3 to 6 day smallmouth bass John Day River fishing trips starting in May and running through mid-July. During the summer months most of the river flow is used for irrigation. As agricultural water demands decrease in the Fall, the river starts to climb to floatable levels and steelhead start entering the system. Starting in October steelhead can be caught with flies and conventional tackle. This time of year also presents the opportunity for a cast-n-blast trip for the elusive chukar partridge.
HOW TO GET THERE
Driving to Clarno via Interstate 84 to Biggs Junction takes about 1.5 hours. From Biggs, travel Highway 97 south to Shaniko. Go south on Highway 218 through the small community Antelope. Clarno Bridge is 14.8 miles from the community of Antelope on Highway 218.
JOHN DAY EQUIPMENT LIST
Suggested Personal Equipment John Day River
- Water Repellent Duffel Bag
- Warm Coat & Sun Hat
- Personal Toilet Articles & Towel
- Light Hiking Boots, Sandals, or Tennis Shoes
- Sleeping Bag (Sleeping Pad & Cot Furnished)
- A small pillow
- Rain Suit (2 Piece Mandatory)
- Two Changes of Light Clothing
- Swim Suit and Shorts
- Small Flashlight
- Dark Glasses and Sunscreen
- Camera (Check Batteries)
- Binoculars Optional
- Water Bottle
- Social Beverages and Mix
- Fishing License
- 3-5 Weight Fly Rod if you are bringing your own
- Insect Repellent
- Total Weight not to exceed 30 Lbs per person
- Pack a small waterproof day pack for your boat. Each boat carries water and cold drinks
- Fishing Tackle Furnished
- Folding Chairs and eating tables
- Deluxe tents, cots, and sleeping pads are furnished
DO NOT BRING
- Waders, hip boots, firearms, electronics, fireworks, or expensive jewelry
Gratuities average 15%.
CAMPING & LODGING RESOURCES
FISHING REGS & LICENSE
John Day River 2018
The execution of Aaron’s team in all areas was flawless - the food superlative - and the fishing FUN, FUN, FUN. Being able to share it with such an auspicious group - including our excellent hosts - is what really...MORE »
Thanks so much for a most enjoyable trip yesterday. Your professionalism and efforts were much appreciated! I am sure we will be with you again.