The Longest Free Flowing River in the Pacific Northwest
For the adventurous, come and enjoy one of the Northwest’s longest free flowing rivers where your sights will be filled with exceptionally scenic canyons, colorful rock formations and mesmerizing basalt formations.
We offer unforgettable whitewater river rafting, scenic floats & custom fishing drift boat trips. Each rafting trip on the John Day River is carefully geared to meet your level of experience and sense of adventure that will allow you to enjoy a unique rafting experience.
All of our guides are highly trained, experienced paddlers; registered with the state; and are knowledgeable and conversant on the river’s history, flora, and fauna.
HOW TO GET THERE
Driving to Clarno via Interstate 84 to Biggs Junction takes about 1.5 hours. From Biggs, travel Highway 97 south to Shaniko. Go south on Highway 218 through the small community Antelope. Clarno Bridge is 14.8 miles from the community of Antelope on Highway 218.
The difficulty of rapids varies with river flow level. Prior whitewater boating skills are necessary to navigate all sections of the river. The most popular multi-day float trips are:
- Service Creek to Clarno
Class II-III – 48 miles, average trip length = 3 days
- Clarno to Cottonwood
Class II-III (Clarno Rapid III) – 70 miles, average trip length = 5 days
JOHN DAY RIVER PACKING LIST
Suggested Personal Equipment Owyhee River
- Water Repellent Duffel Bag
- Warm Coat & Sun Hat
- Personal Toilet Articles & Towel
- Light Hiking Boots, Sandals, or Tennis Shoes
- Light Sleeping Bag (Sleeping Pad & Cot Furnished)
- A small pillow
- Rain Suit (2 Piece Mandatory)
- Two Changes of Light Clothing
- Swim Suit and Shorts
- Small Flashlight
- Dark Glasses and Sunscreen
- Camera (Check Batteries)
- Binoculars Optional
- Water Bottle
- Social Beverages and Mix
- Fishing License (5 Day, we do not fish day 6)
- 3 or 4 Weight Rod if you are bringing your own
- Insect Repellent
- Total Weight not to exceed 30 Lbs per person
- Pack a small waterproof day pack for your boat. Each boat carries water and cold drinks
- Fishing Tackle Furnished
- Folding Chairs and eating tables
- Deluxe tents, cots, and sleeping pads are furnished
DO NOT BRING
- Waders, hip boots, firearms, electronics, fireworks, or expensive jewelry
Gratuities average 20%.